LSPI- torture and treasure

If I could describe the Law School Preparatory Institute in three words, it would be knowledge in madness.

In no way, shape or form am I fully committing to law school or wanting to immerse myself into the field of law by doing this course. My passion still lies with journalism, but by doing this rigorous course, my goal was to explore my options.

Three weeks into my experience as an LSPI student, and I have been on a roller coaster that has consisted of my mind twisting and turning with swaying opinions and discovering new ways of thinking.

The program gives an introductory law school-like setting, while also providing students with preparation if they wish to take the LSAT. That is the main goal since day one of the program—to get a higher score on the LSAT.

Through the ungodly amount of studying and homework, there is so much knowledge obtained during the four weeks of the class. Although a 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. class sounds horrendous, the professors are unlike any I have had before. They engage all my classmates in discussion, encourage participation and help everyone understand the grueling concepts. Through lessons and examples, they show time and time again their level of intellect and ability to teach.

One of the most beneficial traits that the classes have taught me is thinking on the spot. Almost every day, a professor will enter the classroom and drill a person with random questions. While some might think this sounds like torture, this technique is, as the professors describe it, an exact representation of how law school works. It makes all my classmates and I strive to be prepared for class because at any time, someone could be called upon.

The program also continues to amaze me with the success that its graduates have had. They each experience a significant increase in their LSAT score from the start. Everyone also gets help from the professors, teaching assistants and coordinators to apply to different colleges. One in every three students who graduate from the LSPI program have gone to a top 15 school, which gives me so much hope as a potential candidate for law school.

Not only does LSPI help you get into law school, the classes that are taken throughout give you a leg up on law school as well.

Law school does not teach aspirants how to practice in a courtroom setting. It does not prepare you to deal with clients. What it does do is teach you how to analyze a problem and how to think like a lawyer. The application of the different analytical thought processes is brought to life throughout the LSPI.

Although I may or may not take the next step and go to law school, I believe the LSPI program is extremely valuable to anyone thinking about going to law school. It maximizes student’s efforts and challenges them everyday.

Adrian Broaddus may be reached at [email protected]