UAB sweeps Miners as UTEP loses first place

Miners+women%E2%80%99s+softball+lost++4-2+against+UAB+on+Sunday%2C+April+24.+
Miners women’s softball lost 4-2 against UAB on Sunday, April 24.

The Miners softball team lost their spot first-place spot in Conference USA over the weekend. The team closed out their home stand against the UAB Blazers on Sunday, April 24, but failed in a 4-2 loss. The Miners (19-28, 10-8 C-USA) are now two games behind the Blazers (22-24, 12-6 C-USA). UTEP is currently tied for second place in the Western division with Southern Miss. Like the Miners, Southern Miss is 10-8 in conference as well.

“I have so much faith in this team to come back,” said sophomore infielder Hope Moreno, who finished the day batting 1-for-2 with a RBI. “We lost three to Marshall (earlier this year) and came back.” The Miners’ bats were cold early on in this contest. After three innings, the Miners were hitless with zeros across the board. Although UAB racked three hits, they were unable to score with runners at scoring positions in the first three innings.

The first three innings featured stellar pitching from the Miners. In the third inning, UTEP pitcher Kaitlin Fifield only needed five pitches to retire UAB and keep the game scoreless between the two teams. It was not until the top of the fourth that UAB’s offense sparked up. Kelly Britt of the Blazers advanced Lizzie Ryan to third base with a grounder. Hannah Lee was able to reach first base off an error from UTEP shortstop Courtney Smith.

The error not only advanced her, but also brought in the first run of the game and the 1-0 lead to UAB. The situation for the Miners got worse after Fifield walked second baseman Amy Waters to load the bases for the Blazers. They were able to escape the inning as Smith caught a line drive for the last out of the inning. In the top of the fifth, it seemed like UAB was going to add to their lead as first baseman Sara Beth Williamson reached first on a Smith error, her second of the game.

Then, Ashley Johnson hit a fly ball to left field that loaded the bases for UAB. Again to save the inning, the Miners’ defense was able to prevent the Blazers from scoring as outfielder Taylor Sargent retreated back to the wall and caught the final out of the inning. The Miners responded on offense in the bottom of the fifth inning as Smith, redeeming herself for her two errors, hit a home run that tied the game 1-1. “Me and my coach, we have been working on that—coming back from error and responding positive,” Smith said.

“It was good for the team because it was (a tying run).” Smith’s home run was the second of the series and the fourth of the year for the freshman. Following the home run, two more hits were recorded by second basemen Courtney Clayton and infielder Kaitlin Ryder.

Prior to the fifth inning, the Miners were hitless. Right fielder Taylor Sargent helped translate the successful hitting in the fifth inning to the sixth as she hit a deep fly ball that resulted in a double. Designated hitter Danielle Pearson advanced her to third with a sacrifice bunt. Then, Moreno hit a pop up that dropped out of the glove of Blazer’s Waters, which resulted in Sargent scoring the go-ahead run. The Miners led 2-1 entering the seventh inning.

As things seemed to be looking up for the Miners, designated hitter of the Blazers, Mary Warren, hit a two-run homer to take the lead for UAB. Warren’s home run seemed to shake Fifield up, because after the home run, the Blazers had three hits in a row.

Kelly Britt scored off a hit from Madison Millsaps to take the 4-2 lead over the Miners. This game was a tough loss for the Miners—it got out of reach with the home run by Warren, and they could not respond offensively. “It’s a heartbreaker,” head coach Tobin Echo-Hawk said. “This one sucked, especially when you put yourself in a good position to win. When you play a team like that, you always have to be ready because they are a good team.”

The Miners will take on North Texas in a three-game series starting April 30 to end their final home stand of the season. Senior day for the Miners will be held on Sunday, May 1, as the team honors seniors Kawehiokalani Netane, Pearson, Morgan Rasmason and Jade Rodriguez.

Currently, the Miners are on track to advance to the C-USA Tournament on May 11-14 in Denton, Texas. The top three teams and two wild card teams from each division in league play will advance to the post-season tournament.

This would be the first time the Miners have reached the tournament since 2010. Juan Carlos Navarrette may be reached at [email protected] Carlos