The irony of printing a newspaper during Earth Week

Every year we celebrate Earth Day and this year it will be celebrated on April 22. The Prospector dedicates an issue to Earth Day and every year someone on staff asks about why we have an issue dedicated to this day if we print thousands of issues on paper.

I agree, this does seem a little hypocritical, but it is also something that can be argued as good. Here is my attempt to make myself feel better about printing this Earth Day issue.

Since 1989 publishers have attempted to print on recycled paper in order to go green and cut costs. The New York Times published an article on December 18, 1989 that stated that New York State pledged to increase their use of recycled paper by 40 percent by the year 2000.

But newspapers are close to becoming extinct because of the increase of online publications, and newspapers are becoming more green in a last ditch effort to save the paper.

Personally I am torn when it comes to whether or not publications should switch to online or stick with print. I think that conserving paper and switching to online is definitely more effective and efficient. I also wouldn’t miss the smell of newsprint or the dirty hands that come along with clinching onto a newspaper.

On the other hand, the physical paper helps me learn more. Instead of just clicking on what I want to read, with the newspaper I am more inclined to read the entire paper. I learn more and I also don’t use as much data.

When I lived in Washington D.C. it was much easier to pick up a newspaper and read it on the Metro since my service was slow underground and would at times cut off when I tried to load new stories.

When I sit down and think about it, I come to the conclusion that it is a good idea to still have our Earth Day print issue for the following reasons:

Like me when I was in Washington, students are more inclined to read the paper when they pick it up from the stands, instead of looking for our weekly stories online.

Our stories this week are informative, covering topics and people that are important for students to learn about.

So instead of keeping this issue online, having a printed issue might do more good instead of bad.

We inform students and the UTEP community about important environmental stories and hopefully help increase participation and awareness of going green.

There is always a little bit of sacrifice in everything you do and I guess this Earth Day issue is one of ours.

Amanda Guillen may be reached at [email protected].