Chumel brings hope

With more than 1.4 million YouTube subscribers and more that 136.9 million views, El Pulso De La Republica has become an alternative news outlet for the new generation of Mexicans. Chumel Torres, who is the anchor of the show, has been reaching out to the youth of Mexico by making jokes about President Enrique Peña Nieto and about women and men in political positions in Mexico.

The young population of Mexico is very ignorant when it comes to news and politics, and they excuse themselves by saying that the news outlets in their country are linked to drug cartels and political decisions. This is where Chumel and his shows step in.

He opens the show with three or four trending news stories that can include sports, technology, crime and or politics. Within the first minute, Chumel probably said “no mames” (you must be kidding) around five or six times, but honestly as a viewer this grabbed my attention and made me want to keep watching.

Chumel uses the typical Mexican humor that abuses the use of bad words and double meanings. He screams, he laughs and he drinks beer between pauses–he is a better representation of the younger generation.

What’s interesting is that he never graduated from school as a journalist. Chumel is a mechanical engineer who fell in love with the trade. Chumel has been criticized for being rude to politicians, but I must say that Chumel uses accurate information and statistics about the topics he reports on.

Chumel’s way of expressing his anger for massacres such as Ayotzinapa and political decisions from the government has led to more Mexicans watching the show. When Peña Nieto traveled to England to visit the queen for political reasons, he took his family members! Not only his wife, but also the president took his sister-in-law and the government paid for everything.

In one of his videos, Chumel made jokes and pretended to interview the president to make him look stupid for his decisions.

Lately in Mexico, the politics have been pretty weird. An ex-professional soccer player, who is now the mayor of Cuernavaca, was registered as a player in Club America while he was still the mayor! He left the city and his job to go train with the soccer team.

This soccer player even got to play most of the first half of the game because the team was honoring his legacy as a soccer player. Chumel said that this was unbelievable, with bad words and jokes, Chumel said the credibility of Mexican politicians is non-existent. He has built credibility through his brand, which grabbed the attention of journalist Jorge Ramos, news anchor for Univisión, who has interviewed him.

In this interview Ramos said Chumel has the courage to speak the truth, and that Chumel has more courage than professional journalists from Mexico. Chumel then asked Ramos for an interview, which he accepted.

During this interview, Chumel was respectful to Ramos, but couldn’t hide his true colors. During the interview Chumel called Jorge “guey” (bro), which honestly made the interview funny and very informative.

If you need and want an alternative to Mexican news, watch his videos and you will understand the viewpoint of what happens in the country from the new generation of Mexicans.

Rene Delgadillo may be reached at [email protected].